Tuesday, April 21, 2015

First post!


In exactly 497 days, I will be 30 years old. If you’re doing the math, that makes me 28 and change, with a full year of my roaring 20s to go before I hit the big milestone.
I decided to start this blog because around the time of my 28th birthday, 30 started to feel more ‘real’ to me. Before then, it had seemed like my 20s would last forever and that 30 was this big scary age way off in the future, but once I hit the 2 year countdown mark it began to occupy my mind at nearly every turn.
So mature.
Society puts immense pressures on women turning 30, and aging in general. We are still supposed to look like a teenager, dress like a fashion model and have the maturity and grace of the First Lady. Career-wise, we should be well on our way to executive-level success, and also having or thinking about babies. We should have traveled the world and embraced our youth, but should still have enough money left over for nice wine and fancy purses. In other words, we should be doing it all, having it all, without a wrinkle or a grey hair in sight.

To me, 30 is the first milestone I’ve actually associated with aging (compared to 19, which was associated with drinking), and also the only one where I had set goals or expectations for myself to reach by this point. I too had inflicted many of these pressures upon myself, and with less than 500 days to go, I often myself feeling like the clock is ticking. Have I traveled enough? Is my career where it should be? Is there something wrong with me because have neither a house nor a driver’s license? Oh and by the way, how do I look?
August 30th, 2016 is a date that’s been looming on my calendar for a while now, and as it approaches, I’ll probably continue to feel a whole range of emotions. Consider this blog my therapy—my way of navigating through my fears while hopefully having some fun along the way. I hope you’ll join me on this journey and follow my path to my Dirty 30s!




No comments:

Post a Comment